Airfield Estate Dundrum require a Craft Gardener
Airfield Estate is a 38-acre working educational farm and gardens located in Dundrum, Dublin 14. We provide a wide range of programmes and activities that aim to promote an understanding of agriculture, horticulture and the link between farming and food production. Our farm, gardens, heritage and play spaces are open to the public seven days a week. We run a number of experiential education programmes for schools and adults focusing on food, farming, gardening and the natural world.
Our aim is to ensure that consumers understand the impact of their food choices on themselves, their families, society as a whole and, ultimately, the planet.
We are looking to recruit an experienced and enthusiastic horticulturist to join the Airfield gardening team. The main remit of this position is to assist in the day to day operations of the gardens on the estate.
To assist in the day to day operations of the gardens, and greater estate at Airfield. This role is best suited to a hard-working enthusiastic individual who wishes to pursue a career as a craft gardener. A keen interest in plants and innovative horticultural techniques is essential.
Reports to: Head Gardener
- Assist in the day to day maintenance and development of Airfield’s ornamental gardens including management of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants; turf care; pest/disease/weed control; compost; path care, plant propagation, irrigation
- Assist in the day to day maintenance and development of Airfield’s food gardens and wider estate
- Use garden/farm tools and machinery.
- Assist in the management of volunteers and students.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of Airfield Estate’s activities and programmes
- Assisting with Airfields Estate’s visitor experience and educational programmes
- Assist cross-departmental teams
- Interact with members of the public
- Minimum QQI Level 6 Horticultural qualification and at least 1-year practical horticultural experience.
- Ability to work within a team in all- weather conditions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions with excellent attention to detail.
- Competent DIY and machine operating skills. (Chainsaw licence desirable).
- Relevant pesticide qualification PA1 & PA6 (desirable)
- Full Irish driver licence (essential)
- Passionate about horticulture and sustainability.
- Be flexible in working hours in line with peaks and troughs of activity in the calendar year.
- Proficient in the use of technology
- Dynamic – ability to bring energy to the organisation
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to self-motivate in a fast-moving, changing and challenging business organisation
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels throughout the Organisation and its stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
Please email CV and cover letter by Friday 22nd November 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
Salary: Salary will be subject to a candidate's experience
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: Jan 2020
Hand Held Pesticide Application,
Handling and Distribution of Pesticides,